Mario Huys is a professional coach with more than 30 years’ expertise in sports and fitness.
He has been coaching triathlon, cycling, rowing, skiing and distance running since 1986. A former professional triathlete, he has completed 46 iron-distance races and is a world record holder for double Ironman, achieving a time of 19 hours 54 minutes.
Mario has achieved many accolades and career highlights, including:
- Professional triathlete for 14 years
- Vice European champion Ironman distance Köln 1985
- Ironman personal best of 8 hours 19 minutes
- Marathon personal best of 2 hours 28 minutes
- Coaching two professional athletes who both went on to break world records
- Winner of 11 long distance races
- Semi-professional cyclist for two years with ADR – Greg Lemond’s former team
- Member of the Belgian Olympic rowing team
He is currently coaching six professional athletes: Olympian Michial Weiss, world champion Josef Fuchs and Olympic team member Irina Kirchler from Austria, and national champions José Jeuland (France), Manuel Wyss (Switzerland) and Dorian Wagner (Germany).
His coaching highlights include:
• Philip Methion (France) – European and French triathlon champion
• Luc Van Lierde (Belgium) – Hawaii Ironman champion
• Kate Allen (Australia) – Olympic gold medallist and twice Ironman winner
• Daniel Hechenblaickner (Austria) – International triathlon and duathlon champion
• Yvonne Van Vlerken (Netherlands) – World duathlon and Ironman champion